SCB is the only dance studio in San Diego County and surrounding areas to offer Annual Cecchetti International exams allowing the student to progress in ballet following an internationally accepted curriculum. Exams are generally held at the end of May.
SCB is a member of Cecchetti USA.
The Cecchetti Method:
· is a progressive system of training dancers from a pre-ballet beginning level to a professional level.
· was designed with careful regard to the laws of anatomy to prepare a dancer’s body to bear the physical demands of public performance.
· embodies qualities that are essential to the dancer; balance, poise, strength, elevation, elasticity, musicality and artistry.
· has produced a long list of very famous and accomplished ballet dancers.
· emphasizes the importance of using the entire body to establish a feeling for line.
· focus is on instruction by studying and absorbing the basic principles which govern the art, rather than by mere imitation of an individual’s teaching style.
"The Cecchetti USA method training I received as a student helped to prepare me for my professional career in a significant way. Because I had a firm foundation of this pure, classical technique, I was able to later move through several different styles and techniques much more fluidly. It was a valuable foundation that helped shape me into a professional dancer."
Corina Gill, Boston Ballet
"I prepared for the Elementary Major Cecchetti examination for approximately one year when I was sixteen years old. Shortly after passing the exam I was accepted on full scholarship to train with the Houston Ballet Academy. At seventeen I was accepted into the Houston Ballet Company. I have been dancing as a first soloist and I feel that none of this could have been possible without the good strong foundation of the Cecchetti Method. It gave me the placement and styles I needed to dance wonderful classical parts such as Lise in Sir Frederick Ashton’s La Fille Mal Gardee, Olga in John Cranko’s Eugene Onegin, the Lilac Fairy in Ben Stevenson’s Sleeping Beauty and the Neapolitan Princess created on me in Stanton Welch’s Swan Lake. The Cecchetti method has spared me of any injury throughout my dancing years. I would recommend taking the examinations to any serious student of ballet in a heartbeat. My only regret is that I did not take more exams myself."
Sharon Teague, Artisic Director, Missouri City Ballet
"Going through the Cecchetti exams was valuable to me because it was building on a foundation of strength and style. The fact that the system required testing (examinations) by different examiners helped to keep me on track. The guidelines were exact even if some years I might have felt that an examiner that was not too keen on me. You can feel the measure of success with your technique each year, and it was helpful for confidence."
Martha Leebolt, Principal Dancer, Northern Ballet, Leeds, England
2011 winner of Top Performer in England in Classical Ballet
Listed in Dance Europe as the 3rd best dancer in the world out of 100.
Southern California Ballet
12285 World Trade Drive, Suite K, San Diego CA 92128 tel. 858-674-1006
A 501(c) (3) organization